2.05.2008

Rodrigo Torrejon's Photo Story

At the risk of seeming narcissistic, I decided to do a semi-autobiographical photo story. I can't say it's very detailed, if only for the fact that my life is yet to be anything close to figured out. But let me see how it goes.

I started my years off as a long-haired kid usually intent on creating something resembling a picture of Superman suplexing Batman. My artistic ambitions back then were limited to doodles. I'd like to think that I've gotten better, if only for my love of drawing, creativity, and the disheveled thing I call my imagination.

With my ambitions came those who always had my back. My parents Romeo and Mariela have been there for me in what I can only describe as the textbook definition of support. For every accomplishment there came a hug and a smile from Ma and Pa, something I cherish more than anything else, even today.

If my parents are at my back, then my friends would be standing by my side. Being an older brother, I think it's hard to come by that form of love. These guys are the closest thing to having a crew of siblings, each of them making me laugh everyday like I just learned how to.

For the days where I keep to myself, my friend becomes music. Music in itself is something ethereal, but on any given day it becomes something far more substantial to me. Soothing as it is uplifting, music provides me with the levels that maintain my sanity.

With the music that makes me, comes the city that makes me whole. I've lived no more than 15 minutes outside of New York City my whole life. Now that Philly has adopted me, I have to say that city life is what makes me excited for a future lived in the proverbial fast lane. The perks of a hyper-productive town manage to make me excited and prematurely tired.

Having said what essentially makes and drives me, I come to the realization that life becomes based on legacy. I want to leave a legacy that my kids can be proud of, not for its grandeur, but simply because it makes them want to be better people. I end my photo story with a photograph of a wall by my grandfather's farm in Hualmay. I etched my name into a wall that has stood longer than most men, and hopefully something I do in my life, can withstand time in the same fashion.

4 comments:

Stan said...

Look here, Redrigo Torrejon, how I appreciate your photograph and aspeccially your beautiful text. Can you agree that I take this in this way to Holland?

http://hiemel.blogspot.com/2008/02/uit-rodrigo-torrejons-photo-story.html

Thanks, Stan

rotorcito said...

Great, just great!!! The text extraordinary, so clear and meaningful. The closing text belongs to a master.

Unknown said...

Just love the picture you posted, I keep some of your early drawings you gave me when you were a kid.
All of us, in the family, are proud for where you are and what you do.
You did a superb job. Felicitaciones!
Tio Jaime

Unknown said...

Mi Rodrigo, no cabe en mi mente cuan lejos estas yendo, no sabes el orgullo que siento por tener un sobrino como tu. La autobiografia,descrita e ilustrada, es una perfeccion, clara, coherente y mas que nada profunda, como tu dices "it is a legacy"
Me haces muy feliz mi Chiquie
Tia Romelia