2.05.2008

Steve Baro's Photo Story

Sports. They are just a bunch of guys or girls getting together and playing a game. To some, myself included, they are so much more. After my family and friends, sports, particularly Philadelphia sports, are the most important thing to me in this world.

At any point of any day, you can catch me listening to my favorite radio station, 610 WIP. This is an AM station that is devoted to Philadelphia sports. Although I am a print major, having the opportunity to one day work at 610 would be a dream come true.

My favorite Philadelphia sports team is the Philadelphia Eagles. I literally wear my heart on my sleeve with this team, because I have over 12 Eagles jerseys.

My family has had Eagles season tickets since the back when the Eagles played their home games at Franklin Field. When I became old enough to experience all the craziness that goes along with Eagles games, it became a tradition for my dad and I to go to every game together.

Here is a shot of me outside of my house in North Philadelphia. It is about 9 AM and my dad just picked me up to head down to our tailgate. However, I had to get one quick drink in before we left.

My second favorite Philadelphia team is the Phillies. We have season tickets to the Phillies as well. My favorite player is Ryan Howard. Here is a shot from my seat of Ryan signing some autographs.

This is another shot from my seat. The view is amazing. One look to the left and there are the Phillies in their dugout.

This is my pass from a college media day the Phillies held on Friday. It was a great experience because my dream is to one day be a beat writer covering professional baseball, hopefully the Phillies. I also got to meet one of my idols, ESPN writer Jayson Stark.

Since I love Philly so much, it should be no surprise that the Temple Owls are my favorite team is most college sports. Here I am with a friend partaking in some fun before the Temple vs. Penn State football game.

Perhaps the most important aspect of sports in my life, is my summer job. For the past two summers I have been an intern with the Reading Phillies, a minor league team for the "big" Phillies. Here I am with my fellow interns at our end of the season dinner.

That's Reading's mascot, Screwball. And yes, that is me inside the costume. My job includes an array of things including mascot appearances, taking ticket orders, helping with on-field activities and just generally interacting with the fans.

This was our most exciting moment of the summer. We just finished winning the annual softball game against the Trenton Thunder's interns. Trenton is a minor league team of the New York Yankees, and they had taken the intern championship the past four years.

That's my life as a sports fanatic in a nutshell.

No comments: